Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Silversmith

Good morning Friends ~ I heard this for the first time yesterday, some of you may have already heard or read it. May all of our hearts be blessed as we read and contemplate these words.

Have a lovely Sunday whatever you do, being thankful for the many blessings big and small we receive in this life each and every day. Thankful for the refining that goes on in our hearts and lives.

*****************

Silversmith

There was a group of women in a Bible Study on the book of Malachi. As they were studying chapter three, they came across verse three, which says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver. "This verse puzzled the women and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God.

One of the women offered to find out the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible Study. That week, this woman called up a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work.

She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver. As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest as to burn away all the impurities.


The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot then she thought again about the verse, that "He sits as a refiner and purifier of silver." She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined. The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, how do you know when the silver is fully refined? He smiled at her and answered, "Oh, that's easy - when I see my image in it."










7 comments:

L. D. said...

What a great story!! We hate the fire but need to be refined.
Your rose is so gorgeous with all that green foliage behind it. Wow, thanks for sharing it.

E. Charlotte said...

Oh I love this story! I've heard it before, but am always eager to read it again. That last sentence always gives me chills and makes me smile. :)

Mrs. E said...

Oh, Flower Lady! I like that story! Thanks for sharing--and Happy Sunday!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

L.D. ~ You are so right. We do hate the fire, and we don't yet realize what we will become.

E. Charlotte ~ That last line is what did it to me when DH read it to me. Wow, our Creator will see Himself reflected in us. Right now I'm not very refined, but He is doing the refining and I need to relax in His tender, loving care.

Mrs. E ~ Glad you liked. It was a great little story.

Have a wonderful week all of you.

FlowerLady

TRUTH SHARER said...

I love this story which I've heard before. It made a big impression on me then and now. Oh - may God skim off all the dross in my life to bring me to a place of refining purity - able and fit for the Master's use!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie
JESUS ONLY in 2010

Terra said...

Flower Lady, that is a breathtaking story, and new to me and very meaningful.

Aimee Larsen said...

This story is exactly what I was looking for today. I hope you don't mind if I borrow it from you, I'll give you credit. I am doing a Bible study on my blog about marriage and this week, it is about removing the dross. The part that I love about the story is that God is holding us and watching us through our fire. Thank you for your post. I hope it goes on to bless many others. Stop by sometime http://www.homespun-threads.com